J. Shiner & Sons Ltd. was founded in the 1870's in the East End
of London, supplying wholesale, cabinet and general hardware.
By 1930, there were shops in Hoxton Street and Bethnal Green Road
and J.Shiner & Sons became a limited company. Around this time,
they opened a new shop in the West End of London
( just off Tottenham Court Road ) at 40 Windmill Street, But they received
bomb damage during the war and moved to No. 8 where they began to
specialise in the sale of reproduction antique cabinet hardware.
In 1952 they decided to close the shops in Hoxton Street and
concentrate on the sale of reproduction antique cabinet furniture fittings.
They remained at No.8 until september 2003 when they moved across the
road and into the premises of their sister company Windmill tool & hardware at No.33.
On the 1st. July 2004 the 2 companies merged to become J.Shiner & Sons Ltd,
t/a Windmill tool & hardware.
September 2006 saw the biggest change in the companies history by moving out of London into East Sussex.